Monday, April 19, 2010

I Have a Problem....

My name is Kristin and I have a problem.

A sewing problem.

My house is a mess. Threads and pins on the floor.
My dining room has been taken over my my sewing mess.
I am thankful for a loving and supportive husband who just moves my pattern pieces over when it's time to eat.

Everyday I am constantly thinking about my newest project, or the billion on the back-burner. And coming up with new ones.

I buy too much fabric. That is an understatement. Yes, I am turning into my mother ;)

My daughter recognized the "fabric store"  (Hancock) and Hobby Lobby...though it was cuter when she called it "Lobby Lobby"

The fabric store clerks noticed when I got a haircut.

When I'm out and about I am always looking at people's clothes and styles thinking...."I could make that!"

I have too many unfinished projects. When I get toward the end of a project and it is successful and the high is over, I often don't finish the buttons or seams. Or hems. I need to just have a UFO day- Unfinished Object Day! Anybody want to join in?

I feel guilty when I don't give a handmade birthday gift.

I dream of sewing for a living, though I fear it would take away the fun. I have a little sewing job right now that brings in a little $, and I think that's good for now! Not too much that it takes away from MY projects.

I am glad to have found the patternreview.com site, so I know I'm not alone.

My name is Kristin, but the truth is, I don't want to recover!

9 comments:

  1. Sign me up for the non-recovery version of Sewers anonymous!! I nodded at pretty much all of your bullet points, and laughed about the "fabric store". My hubby is appalled that our son recognizes the fabric store (and has since he was about 2), but has no idea what Home Depot is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since this is not an "anonymous" club, I'll join too! I'm right there with ya girl! Only now my kids groan at me if I tell them I have to run to JoAnnes. Better to leave them at home anyways - na not, really, then I spend more! hahaha You are not alone my friend, not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem, only with my scrapbooking stuff. I have to move it to sit at the table! I do have the sewing machine out to sew on some of my layouts and cards. And guess what, even though I make cards, I don't send them out very often!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat too.

    One of the ladies at JoAnn tells my son about when I came in when I was pregnant with him every time she cuts for me.

    My goal is for us to have a table to eat on at dinner and for me to remember to eat and occasionally peek outside to see the son, but some days this is beyond me. I'd personally love to teach sewing some day, so I feel this urge to practice and work as hard as I can right now, when I only have 1 kid who tolerates my habit well so that when there's more who are less tolerant, I'll have some experience under my belt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth- We have a lot in common! I think it would be fun to teach sewing also, but I still feel like such a beginner! How long have you been sewing?! People keep telling me to start an Etsy shop, but I don't even know what I'd put in it, and there i so much competition...and would that be fun?! I definitely want to keep expanding my skills. I think I should try a new skill a week. Maybe I should blog about my new skill from a book of my choosing....I WILL be like Julie in Julie and Julia! :) Maybe I should start a thread/challenge for new skills....!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! Sign me up to the Non-Anonymous Sewers disaster club. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just copy your post, sign it, and put it on my blog? LOL This was great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah girl you are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew... I have a room all to myself for sewing.
    But thread and scraps float through the house.
    I often forget to eat ( good for weight loss)if I am in the middle of a project and have withdrawal if I don't seww everyday.
    And you know what, I am glad there is no cure!!
    Loved your post!
    Please take a moment and visit my blog:
    www.susansewsdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete